In Windows, Startup folder is one that is used to automatically execute specific programs when the computer starts. It is one of the most important folder that can be easily found in Windows XP, 7 and Vista. By clicking on Start button=>All Program=>Startup, one can open Winodws 7 startup folder and manage autorun programs. All the programs and application that you will place in that folder will be opened automatically just after Windows start. This can be very helpful to automatically start antivirus programs or your favourite games/softwares.
Similarly some softwares automatically copy their shortcut to the startup folder for automatic execution. Automatically executed unwanted programs also consume more RAM and makes computer run slow. If you want to get rid of closing or killing their processes again and again then the best option is to delete its file from the startup folder. Unfortunately you can’t locate it easily in Windows 8.
Start button is missing in Windows 8 and therefore one can’t find Startup folder directly. So, in order to manage or edit startup programs in Windows 8, here I am going to share some simple methods.
Startup Folder Location in Windows 8
A simple command i.e, shell:startup can be used to open startup folder instantly in Windows 8. Following are the three different methods that you can use to locate startup folder in Windows 8 or 8.1.
- Open start screen in Windows 8 by pressing the windows key.
- Right click on the bottom right side of scrren and click on All Apps.
- Fin and open the Run application from the list.
- Type shell:startup in the textbox and click on the open button.
- Startup folder will be opened automatically.
- Press Windows + R keys simultaneously in order to open RUN console.
- Type shell:startup or shell:common startup in the text field.
- Hit the enter button.
- Open My Computer
- Copy Paste the following path in the address bar C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
- Replace C:\ with the drive letter in which your Windows is installed. (if required)
- Press the enter button.
Manage Startup Items in Windows 8
First of all open Windows 8 startup folder by following one of them method mentioned above. After that you can delete the apps which you don’t want to be started automatically. Similarly you can copy paste the shortcuts of any application that you want to execute automatically when Windows 8 starts.
Task Manager can also be used to manage startup programs in Windows 8. Press Ctrl+Alt+delete buttons simultaneously and it will open Task Manager. Click on the startup tab and you will see a list of all startup applications along with name, publisher, status etc. By right clicking on any app from the list, you will be able to disable it.
If you still face any problem while locating startup folder in Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 or in managing startup programs then feel free to comment below.